Season 1, Episode 4 – Daniel Karslake

Join Carol Howard Merritt and Bruce Reyes-Chow as they welcome film director and producer Daniel Karslake to discuss his documentary For The Bible Tells Me So. For the Bible Tells Me So tells the stories of Bible believing Christian parents as they learn how to be the parents of homosexual children.

This episode features the music of Kevin MacLeod.

To listen, use the player at the bottom of the post, or right click here and “Save as…”

Some highlights from this episode:

0:01: Carol Howard Merritt speaks with pastor Lara Blackwood Pickrel about an odd experience she had dealing with biblical interpretation
5:25: Carol introduces the theme of the episode and Daniel Karslake
7:45: Daniel Karslake shares how he decided to make the film, For the Bible Tells Me So
15:25: Karslake shares about his faith formation
16:20: Karslake shares
20:35: Bruce and Carol reflect on Part 1 of Karslake interview
35:18: Karslake shares what surprised him in making this film: “Conservative Christians are really lovely, loving people.”
38:50: Karslake shares about the responses to the film
47:15: Karslake shares about the Reitan family’s press conference outside Focus on the Family headquarters
51:25: Bruce and Carol reflect on Part 2 of Karslake interview
1:01:25: Promo for next week’s episode: Bruce speaks with Lara Blackwood Pickrel and Heather Godsey about their new book Oh God, Oh God, Oh God!: Young Adults Speak Out About Sexuality and Christianity

Comments

8 Responses to “Season 1, Episode 4 – Daniel Karslake”
  1. Kimberly says:

This has been a great show, thank you so much for bringing in Karslake and for your reflections afterward. I cried when hearing Daniel's story of the email after the airing of the first show he produced on the topic. It took my parents almost 5 years to come to terms with who I am and with whom I'm building a faithful life. Generationally and theologically we just could not seem to talk to one another once I came out. This past Easter, of all dates, our relationship was resurrected when they were able to invite me and my partner to Easter dinner. Mom said she had a break through when she remembered the first bible verse she memorized as a child… Judge not lest ye be judged. Took the Bible between a conservative and a progressive to bridge the gap after all.

An interesting side thought – it has been often almost as hard to come out as a Christian with my LGBT friends as it has been to come out as a lesbian in my faith communities. There is so much hurt and suspicion and as Daniel says, the perception is still largely that Falwell and Robertson represent all Christians.

Thanks for your great show!

2. Debbie Davis says:

Wonderful program – it made me think, it made me cry – and it made me want to be more courageous in sharing my own beliefs about difficult issues. Thank you!

3. Janet L. Bohren says:

This was really an excellent conversation. You and Bruce are getting better at coordinating your conversation with the interviews. I met Irene Monroe some years ago at a Voices of Sophia conference at Louisville Seminary. She was an impressive speaker and really interesting person to talk with. She was very concerned at that time to take her story to black churches. I also liked the way you and Bruce did such a nice job of talking about where the PC(USA) is today on LGBT rights and inclusion. Daniel Karslake's discussion of the loving care of conservative parents for their children was very moving. I saw this film or one like it a few years ago and it was so well done. Hope you can do many more interviews like this one and also hope many people get to see the film.

4. Thank you both for the feedback. It's so good to hear. Karslake was great.

Kimberly, what a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.

5. Claudia Collier says:

Carol…a very compelling interview. One thing we have learned from attending the PFLAG chapter that is hosted in our church is that straight allies are so important in helping teach the point that it is a human issue, not just political. When we all stand together it is hard to tell who is gay and who is straight.

6. Dawn says:

I did my graduate work on the coming out experience of teenagers in their families. This film came out after and I am looking forward to finding it.

Bruce, you said churches are afraid to hire inclusive minded pastors because they are afraid that within a week everyone in the church will be gay. As a Canadian Anglican, I notice churches are afraid to hire inclusive minded priests because they are afraid that people will leave the church. Funny thing is, in my small, rural church, everyone says they are open, but they are afraid everyone else isn't.

7. Br. Aidan-Boniface says:

I've been listening to the God Complex for a few months now and thoroughly enjoy it. I learn so much.

This particular program is among your very best.

The Spirit is ever opening our hearts and then our minds.

Thank you so much for having aired it.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...

Comment policy:

See this blog here? It's like we're having a party, and everyone wants to have a good time at a party, right? It's cool if you want to be critical, but if you're rude, well...then you won't get to party any more. And that would suck. So don't be rude.